Asian Turkey Burgers
Recipe Courtesy EatingWell.com
2 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread, crusts removed, torn into pieces
12 ounces lean ground turkey breast, (see Ingredient Note)
1 8-ounce can sliced water chestnuts, rinsed and chopped
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce, (see Ingredient Note)
2 scallions, trimmed and sliced
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
Sesame Mayonnaise, optional (recipe follows)
1. Preheat grill to medium-high.
2. Place bread in a food processor and pulse into fine crumbs. Transfer to a large bowl. Add ground turkey, water chestnuts, hoisin, scallions, ginger, garlic and salt; mix well. (The mixture will be moist.) With dampened hands, form the mixture into four 1/2-inch-thick patties (see Tip).
3. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Brush the patties with sesame oil. Grill until browned and no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes per side. (An instant-read thermometer inserted in the center should register 165°F.)
4. Meanwhile, prepare Sesame Mayonnaise, if desired, to serve with the burgers.
2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
2 tablespoons nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
1/2 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1. Combine mayonnaise, yogurt, soy sauce and oil in a small bowl; whisk until blended. Variation: Scallion-Lemon Mayonnaise Combine 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt, 1 tablespoon chopped scallions, 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste in a small bowl; whisk until blended.